- To oversee the implementation of the Global Ocean Ecosystem Dynamics project in accordance with the published Science and Implementation Plans;
- To develop a programme of Integration and Synthesis for GLOBEC for presentation to the sponsors and the larger scientific community;
- To recommend to the sponsoring organizations the necessary actions to be taken in accordance with the GLOBEC Science and Implementation Plans and to co-ordinate and manage the resulting activities;
- To collaborate, as appropriate, with other related global change projects and programs and planning activities, such as IMBER, LOICZ, WCRP, the IOC program on Ocean Science in relation to living resources (OSLR), and the Global Ocean Observing System;
- To establish appropriate data management policies to ensure sharing and preservation of the GLOBEC data set taking into account the related policies of the sponsors; and
- To report regularly to SCOR, IGBP and IOC and to other bodies such as WCRP, ICES and PICES, on the state of planning and accomplishments of GLOBEC.
The GLOBEC SSC, its Officers, subsidiary groups and Core Project Office shall operate in accordance with the guidelines established by SCOR and the SC-IGBP.
Operating Procedures for the SSC
The Global Ocean Ecosystem Dynamics Program (GLOBEC) is a Core Project of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program of ICSU. The Scientific Steering Committee of GLOBEC (henceforth referred to as SSC) is sponsored by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR), the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) and the Scientific Committee of the IGBP (SC-IGBP). The three organizations are jointly responsible for the appointment of the Chair, Vice Chair and members. The sponsors of important regional components of GLOBEC (e.g. ICES and PICES) will be consulted about the nominations of members of the SSC.
The primary functions of the GLOBEC SSC are:
- to provide scientific guidance to and oversee the development, planning and implementation of the Core Project;
- to encourage publication of results with an appropriate form of acknowledgement of SCOR, IOC, IGBP and ICSU support;
- to encourage the promotion and wide awareness of GLOBEC amongst the science community;
- to demonstrate progress and achievements of the project through the definition and monitoring of milestones and results;
- to provide on request, scientific advice and assistance to the GLOBEC, IGBP and Global Change National Committees, UNESCO-IOC regional bodies and START Regional Committees, in the planning of national and regional research which is designed to contribute to the overall goals of the GLOBEC Core Project.
- to encourage national governments, as well as regional and international funding agencies to support the implementation of Core Research and the achievement of Core Project goals through the provision of adequate support to the necessary national, regional and international research;
- to encourage collaboration between GLOBEC and other IGBP Core Projects and International Programmes and Agencies concerned with the scientific study and assessment of global change; and
- to recommend to SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP:
- members for appointment by SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP to the committee;
- a Chair for appointment by SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP;
- a Vice Chair for appointment by SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP; and,
- such amendments to these terms of reference as may prove necessary from time to time.
In undertaking these responsibilities the SSC shall collectively:
- meet once a year, to review progress in the development and implementation of GLOBEC and to advise the Chair and Core Project Executive Officer on the scientific developments which should be initiated or undertaken between meetings;
- prepare plans and guidelines for the conduct of meetings, workshops, and conferences designed to assist the SSC in executing its functions;
- prepare and revise, as necessary, criteria for the identification of national and regional research which contributes to the goals of GLOBEC as: Core Research; Regional/National Research; or Relevant Research;
- develop guidelines for the preparation, publication and distribution of substantive and technical reports resulting from Core Research; from the work of the GLOBEC Core Project Office; and, from related activities of GLOBEC individually and collectively;
- develop and devise a methodology for monitoring and assessing progress;
- advise the Core Project Executive Officer on the necessary actions required of the Core Project Office in support of the work of the SSC and,
- consider such other matters as individual members or the Core Project Executive Officer bring to the attention of the SSC or are referred to it for consideration by SCOR, IOC or the SC-IGBP.
Members of the Scientific Steering Committee serve in their individual capacities and are expected to:
- attend in full, the meetings of the Scientific Steering Committee;
- be willing to expend considerable effort outside of SSC meetings;
- provide the best possible scientific information and advice concerning their field of specialisation as it relates to the goals and the Science and Implementation Plans for the Core Project;
- provide scientific advice to the Chair and Core Project Executive Officer on the development and implementation of the GLOBEC project;
- represent the scientific interests of the Core Project at relevant scientific meetings;
- provide a written report to the GLOBEC IPO within one month of attendance at a meeting at the expense of the IPO;
- provide a two-way channel of communication between the Scientific Steering Committee and the national and where possible, regional and international research community; as well as with their respective IGBP/GEC national committees, whenever available;
- organise, convene, conduct meetings and provide reports for such Core Project Workshops as shall be agreed by the SSC;
- keep the Core Project Office and Chair of the SSC fully informed of all actions directly or indirectly related to the Core Project; and
- assist in securing financial and other support for the execution of Core Research, adopted and approved by the Committee.
The Chair of the Scientific Steering Committee is expected to:
- chair the meetings of the Committee;
- conduct the meetings in accordance with “good practice” guidelines established by the IGBP;
- undertake advocacy on behalf of the project and enlist wide international participation in the project;
- work closely with the Core Project Executive Officer in implementing agreed activities between meetings of the Committee;
- report periodically to SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP on progress implementing the project and seek the assistance of SCOR, IOC and the SC-IGBP in addressing difficulties encountered in the implementation.
The Vice Chair of the Scientific Steering Committee is expected to:
- chair the meetings of the committee in the absence of the Chair;
- undertake advocacy on behalf of the project and enlist wide international participation in the project; and
- assist the Chair and the Core Project Executive Officer in implementing agreed activities between meetings of the Committee.